Gumala Ranger Team
During 2014, GAC entered into a partnership with Rangelands NRM who provided GAC with funding to employ a Ranger Co-ordinator for the purpose of establishing a Gumala Ranger team in the Tom Price region.
The seed funding was used to employ a Ranger Co-ordinator. The Ranger Co-ordinator is responsible for securing external funds and co-ordinating the project.
Plans are being developed for the Gumala Ranger team to provide natural resource management and cultural services for Pilbara communities, the Karijini National Park, Karijini Eco retreat, and Pastoral/ mining lease sites.
The Gumala Ranger team is preparing to provide the following services:
- Community development rejuvenation projects to reduce dust, enhance ‘green’ areas, and reduce damage to property from fire and cyclones
- Native Plant and Animal identification
- The protection of environmentally and culturally significant species, ecosystems and habitats
- The management and eradication of invasive species and other environmental threats
- The management of land through traditional bush burning techniques
Our long-term goal is for the Gumala ranger team to become self-sufficient through fee-for-service arrangements.